OCTOBER 2023 GARDEN REPORT
Posted on October 03 2023
Embracing Autumn Gardening
For as long as I can remember, gardening has been more than a hobby to me—it's been a lifelong passion. Each year, as autumn paints its beautiful masterpiece, I fall in love with my garden again. It’s the perfect time to take note of what went well, collecting seeds from spent flowers like Zinnias and enjoying the last push of Dahlia blooms.
- Plant Fall-Flowering Perennials: To infuse your garden with vibrant colors during the fall season, consider planting fall flowers like asters, mums, and sedums. These plants can add a burst of color as summer blooms fade.
- Garden Maintenance and Cleanup: Keep your garden in top shape as the leaves start to fall by composting fallen leaves and removing any dead or spent foliage. Prune back perennials that have finished blooming and cut back any overgrown shrubs. Mulching can also help insulate the soil and prepare it for winter. SHOP GARDEN TOOLS
- Plant Spring-Blooming Bulbs: October is the ideal time to plant spring-blooming bulbs, like tulips, daffodils, crocuses, and hyacinths. Doing so will reward you with a riot of color in your garden when spring arrives.
- Divide Perennials: October is a great time to divide if you have overcrowded perennial plants such as Hosta and Daylilies. This helps rejuvenate the plants and maintain their vigor.
- Prune Trees and Shrubs: Trim back any overgrown branches on trees and shrubs while they are dormant. This promotes healthy growth and shape for the following year.
- Prepare Garden Tools and Equipment: As the gardening season winds down, take the time to clean and properly store your garden tools and equipment. This includes cleaning, sharpening, and oiling tools to ensure they're ready for spring.